Tuesday 15 October 2013

Batista: from zero to hero back to zero again (2)

I wrote before about Eike Batista based on an article from BusinessInsider, but Bloomberg wrote a much longer article about the same subject:

"How Brazil's Richest Man Lost $34.5 Billion"




I think pretty relevant for Malaysia, since:
  • Several SPACs venture in the same direction (oil&gas and mining), some of them have already embarked on Private Placements, while they only listed a short while ago;
  • Several Malaysians are involved in a web of Singaporean companies that have recently crashed down to Earth, companies involved with mining;
  • SapuraKencana Petroleum won a contract in Brazil from Petrobras; I am scared when I read this, since Batista could not make money in Brazil despite his home field advantage, can a Malaysian company be successful, while they had (pretty juicy, I guess) contracts from PETRONAS?
I see the above all as signs of a possible bubble, I hope I am wrong.

2 comments:

  1. No surprise he also owns a football club
    Watch out Tony Fernandes...
    http://en.mediamass.net/people/eike-batista/highest-paid.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, agree, owning a football club is a hobby (and an expensive one), not an investment, although Vincent Tan seems to want to IPO his club. Not sure if that is possible, sentiment is not that great.

    ReplyDelete